Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New tricks for old dogs

Up to this point (Healthy blasphemy) no one would be able to accuse me of being unfair.  I’ve done my best not to insult anyone. Rather, I’ve bent over backwards to accommodate divergent thinking. But now I’m going to have to take a firmer line. No more Mr Nice Guy for a while. I have a job for God to do, and he’ll need to suck in his abdomen and demonstrate a little backbone!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming . . .

As we plow through the latter half of this book, I find that its style sometimes irks. Don’t get me wrong—the structure is fine, and I like how the pace has sped up. It’s quite exciting, really.  But at the same time, I have to tone down another element. A certain over-the-top-ivity has crept in. I know what that is, of course. As I touch upon matters dear and near to my heart, I anticipate a negative reaction.  I grow defensive, and that increases my tendency to act clever. I’m working on that, I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment